Saturday, January 19, 2008

Week One


I am loving it here! It is rather HOT and I've officially started my farmer's tan! It started yesterday with riding in the back of the truck on the way to a village (almost 2 hours away). The people here are trying to get me to turn black, so they say ;) We went out to the villages on Thursday and Friday. The good news...50-90% of the people have left the IDP camps and have returned to their villages!!!! The rebels have not attacked in many months (they have moved to the Congo). Wes says the people have higher spirits now. However, the people are still desperate for help. I was able to assist with a medicine distribution on Friday for those who have tested positive for HIV. The people were so welcoming - singing and dancing as we arrived. I know this is exactly where I am to be right now. In the following weeks, my schedule will be filled with traveling to 8 different villages and beginning the HIV/AIDS class with women. I have fallen in love with the women here so I am very excited to dive in further! I have already been faced with emotional challenges however there has also been joy. These people are so wonderful! We have several Ugandans on staff who are extremely helpful and have a great sense of humor. That's how you deal with things...you find ways to laugh. I am blessed to be surrounded by the staff and Wes and Jolene. I wish you all could see it here. Lira is a smaller town and the main form of transportation (other than foot) is by bicycle. The women ride side-saddle on the back of the bikes! I'll have to try it and pray that I don't fall off. They'd just call me a crazy muno (white person)!! Sorry this I'm jumping around everywhere...there is just so much to tell :) Common animals around here - mosquitos, goats, cows, bats(tons of bats), and oh yes...rats! Last night I went into the pantry and spotted a rat with a furry tail!! One of the staff guys told me today that those are the bad ones...they eat the other rats. Great! I'm convinced it was a RUS (rodent of unusual size...for those of you who have seen Princess Bride, ha!) Well, I should get this sent being as I don't know when we might lose power. It was just off today for about 6 hours. They turn it off and on randomly, no rhyme or reason. Good thing we have candles. Thanks for the comments - it's nice to hear from home :) Love you -

4 comments:

Kelly said...

keira! miss you already ma'am. it's so great to hear your stories and what you're up to. please keep 'em coming. i'm so excited for you!

Anonymous said...

LOVE the princess pride reference...it gave me quite the visual! It's great to hear that you are settling in well. Have a great week.

gloria christine said...

Your notes are bringing back so many memories for me right now... the long bus rides crammed full, the rats, everything. I miss it and I wish I were there with you!

I am so glad to hear that so many people have gone home! That's fantastic! It's kind of weird hearing that since I went to Displace Me last year, which was to help these people go home. Very cool!

keep up the great work, I am so proud of you!

Andy said...

Your time is going to go by so fast, enjoy it and cherish it all while you can. This rat race will be here when you get back!

And to keep up with the reference, "As You Wish...."

"Fear destroys joy. Live in it, and you will know the pain of constant, chronic, low-grade anxiety. Transcend it, and you will know delight." John Ortberg