Wednesday, January 16, 2008

I'm Here...FINALLY


So, after 52 hours after I left my house in Denver we arrived at our house in Lira.  Three flights, a layover in chaotic and unfamiliar Amsterdam, a lovely sleepover in Kampala (an actual bed) and a fabulous bus ride lasting 8 hours.  Imagine a bus dated back to the 70s, every seat filled including children sitting on someone's lap and people standing in the isle.  For eight hours No food, little water, no bathroom and our bus was burning oil the whole time....notice the picture!  We were clean before the bus ride began :)  Oh yes, forgot to mention that we will literally have bruises on our knees from hitting the seat in front of us due to the road.  But once we arrived in Lira, Wes was waiting for us with the GRI truck to take us to the house where a warm meal was waiting for us!  During the flights and the airports, I started thinking "what the heck did I get myself into."  However, as soon as I stepped off of the plane and took in a deep inhalation of the Ugandan night air, I somehow felt at home and a sense of calmness come over me.  It's been a long journey so I now will turn into my bed and pull the mosquito net over me for a nice, restful sleep.

7 comments:

Nicole said...

Glad you made it and feel at home. Have you seen any elephants that can be shipped to the USA yet? Good luck in Africa, we missed you at the baber lunch on Sunday.

Jim Ladd said...

I am so proud of you!!!

I'm also jealous, but you belong right where you are.

Keep us posted.

Brandon said...

Hey KEEEE-RA. Glad you're there and starting to adjust. I can't believe you got that dirty from just riding on a bus. I figured you rolled in the dirt to make us all think you were working really hard alread. :0) I've been praying for you and will keep doing it.

Anonymous said...

You look AWESOME in that pic! I'm so glad you made it safely. You know how momma worries. I'm so very, very proud of you for stepping outside of your comfort zone and doing something so purpose driven. You did not let anyone or anything get in the way of your dreams. You're a hero to me.

Unknown said...

Amazing! That is the adjective I will use to describe you with. Congrats on making it safe and sound. Watch out for those wild animals! If you need to get away, run, run damn it! run as fast as you can. (I guess! don't take my advice, I really don't know what your supposed to do if something is chasing you in the jungle. I know your working extremely hard Keep up the great work. :) take care

Leslie said...

So gald to find out you arrived safely. You look just great after all those hours of travel. Take care and absorb every minute of this awesome experience.
Leslie

Mark said...

Looks like God's way of making you feel at home and allowing you to fit in by making you look like a native...

Which one is you?

Love you, we're proud of you & we're praying for you!

"Fear destroys joy. Live in it, and you will know the pain of constant, chronic, low-grade anxiety. Transcend it, and you will know delight." John Ortberg