Thursday, January 24, 2008



Today was my first day of meeting in the Opeta village with the women of married age. We talked about HIV/AIDS and being faithful in their marriages. It went really well...52 women came despite several large town meetings going on at the same time. The women asked some very good questions and expressed great appreciation for my coming to inform them. However, I cried on the way home. There is so much infidelity here, on both sides, which is why HIV is spreading like wild fire. I read scriptures to them and felt like I got my point across but there is so much corruption it feels a bit overwhelming. I know they heard what I said, but it is hard to know if things will change. There is obviously great depth to the problem. But, on the way home I read "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Galations 6:9 I need to learn to trust in that. My mind knows that God is in control of all of this, but my heart is struggling to find understanding. I also need to remember that this is only the beginning :)
On a happy note, while waiting for the truck after my talk I sat under a big shade tree, sipped on a warm, orange fanta and played cards with Wes and a couple of Ugandans. It was great!! There will be joy and there will be sorrow, but we will press on!!

3 comments:

andirae said...

Keira,
I am so excited for you and proud of you! I know this is your heart and it is wonderful and amazing that you get this experience. I was brought to tears by your posts! I know this is excatly where you are supposed to be. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Love always,
Andrea

Mark said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KEIRA!!!!

The Archers want you to know we are sooooooo proud of you and we want to wish you the happiest of birthdays.

Pursue your purpose with passion!!!

We Love You!

Mark, Daisha, Jayden, & Jantzen

zAdventure said...

Steph, Pam, Yvonne, Modena, Enzo, Atticus, Pepper and I are all here wishing you a wonderful 29th birthday! We're all amazed with what you're doing and so happy you have this opportunity to fulfill your passion.

Be safe and we all miss you.

Zac

"Fear destroys joy. Live in it, and you will know the pain of constant, chronic, low-grade anxiety. Transcend it, and you will know delight." John Ortberg