
My first traveling assignment led me to La Grande, Oregon. La where?? That's what I initially thought, along with many others. And those who had been to Oregon wondered why in the world I would take an assignment in the northeastern part of the state. Without knowing anything about Oregon, I simply thought that I could manage anywhere for three months. There have been three other “travelers” (traveling therapists) since I've been here and two have been bored and underwhelmed with the area. I, on the other hand, have been quite pleased and content. There are multiple reasons why this is so, but it seems as though I've made a full circle from my roots. Growing up in a one-horse-town I couldn't get away fast enough. I was tired of everyone knowing everyone and wanted to swim in a lake or an ocean of people...not just a pond. Life in the big city was fun for a while. And not all cities are created equal. Dallas, Bangkok, Beijing, Hong Kong...I can do without all of ya'll. Denver...you too are a big city but so much more comfortable (to me). Anyway, it was around the year 2007 that things started to shift and I started to dream about living in a small area again...mountain town vs overseas village/town. Those were the two that seemed to be the front-runners. We know where that went. Here I am back in a smaller town in America and loving it. I started in a ghetto apartment in La Grande and enjoyed the slower pace of life vs Denver. The population is 12,000 with the place divided in to two distinct parts. One is called Island City and has your Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Walmart, etc. The second part has the town's “downtown” area with locally-owned shops and restaurants. This part made me happy. But when I would be in the apartment on the weekend I felt like I needed to be doing something. Too much down time or alone time became depressing.

Well, towards the end of January I moved out to Union...thirteen miles outside of La Grande...onto the farm of a cowoker's/friend's in-laws. Union has approximately 2,000 people...when you count the near-to-town farm folks ;) And I really enjoy the fact that people know each other. Funny how things have come full circle. Out on the farm they have sheep, cattle, and two horses (and of course the necessary farm dog and barn cats). I moved into the “bunkhouse” which used to be the old chicken coop prior to renovations :) And you know what? I couldn't enjoy it more! It is so peaceful out here. There are rolling hills with the peaks of the mountains peeking just over the top of them – all in full view from my bunkhouse. I get to help with chores in the mornings and afternoons if I choose; I've gone on a buggy ride behind the horses; was around for the lambing season; have sat on the porch on a Sunday afternoon wrapped in a warm blanket and watched the lambs play; I held the light while the guys worked about an hour late in the night to help a mama cow have her calf...in the teen degree weather. I think I like it so much because it's the country/farm/small community/down-to-earth scene with the mountains. The down time and alone time is peaceful out here...not depressing. .
It's almost like this environment gives you permission, actually welcomes you to appreciate those quiet moments. That's not to say that I just sit around and listen to the sheep bleat. There's plenty to keep you busy around here. But it's not a pressure to stay busy that I've found in the bigger cities where you always have to be doing something to avoid being alone or bored. Nope. Here it's welcomed and actually enjoyableIn addition to my wonderful housing situation, I have also been incredibly blessed, yet again, with the people I have met. There have been some great patients whom I have worked with that have made my day more enjoyable.

I can say that I like working with most all of my coworkers. But truly, the warmest part of this whole deal is the family that I'm staying with. The Wings. Karen is the speech therapist I work with in town. She and I became friends within the first five minutes of meeting each other. Seriously. We didn't get a chance to really get to know one another until just after the first month of me being here but it didn't take long to realize we had alot in common. We share the same approach and compassion for our patients which is so nice to have at work. She's often my saving grace there. And we have similar world-views and thoughts on God which make for some great conversations and encouragement pieces. Karen is married to Joe and they live down the lane...a dirt road...with their two children, Henry (4) and Claire (11 months). Joe's parents are the big dogs on campus...the Wing Farm...and are Mark and Judy. What a wonderful couple! They are so welcoming, kind, warm-hearted, take-ya-as-ya-are kind of people. The whole family is. We often have family meals taking turns with cooking, gather just to chat and have coffee or tea, gather to chore or to work on the house in town that Karen and Joe are basically rebuilding except for the frame. It has been great. Truly. I wish I would've been out here on the farm the whole time (not to say that I didn't enjoy living with my roommate in La Grande!).

I already plan to come through here in the beginning of June on my way back to Colorado. And, I've made pseudo plans for us all for August...it's canning season and I've told Judy I want her to teach me AND a pack trip into the Eagle Cap Wilderness (just over these hills on the farm). They used to pack the mules into the wilderness back in the day. Well, I'm thinking they need to do that again with me in tow :)
So many days when I'm driving to work I see how blessed I am. No, not every day is easy. There have been weeks here when I've worked my fanny off day after day and am just exhausted. I've had some really tough cases that have been emotionally taxing. I've had patients die. I've felt loneliness at times. BUT...what I see is God's faithfulness. He has always placed someone special in my life each place I have gone. What a precious gift.
And what do ya know...I've already been here 4 months. And of course, I'm attached. Just around the corner is another goodbye. Ugh, I hate them. Those darn things. But I suppose it's those goodbyes that have brought all of the wonderful places and people into my life. Like one of my favorite quotes says “You can kiss your family and friends good-bye and put miles between you, but at the same time you carry them with you in your heart, your mind, your stomach, because you do not just live in a world but a world lives in you.” Frederick Buechner
No comments:
Post a Comment