Sunday, February 17, 2008


Thank you to everyone who has been praying for me! This last week was very busy and exhausting, but it was much better! I saw the girl from my previous story a couple of times last week. It was very difficult for me to "turn her away," but at the same time I was able to discuss some very serious matters with her. I am not sure if she really listened, but I know that I said what needed to be said and did so in a loving way. God will have to take care of the rest.


I am growing closer and closer in friendship with our Ugandan field staff. They are wonderful. Not only are they funny but they LOVE their people. As we spend more days together our hearts are joining forces to reach the people of Northern Uganda. What a beautiful thing! And time is going by so quickly being that we are so busy. I am in the field 5 days a week and seem to find things I must work on in the office on the days I'm home...usually more research :) But Wes, Jolene and I still find the time to goof off! Today we threw around the football and frisbee (you can definitely tell which one I grew up with) and I think we may head over to play some basketball by one of the schools (it's not as fancy as you might think). Physical activity is definitely limited by the heat though. You know it's hot when the Ugandan guards have taken their shirts off because they are so hot - and that's at night!!!! Just a side note, I know some of you have wanted to get in touch with me, either by text message or phone call, so here is the number 011256774300603.


On a serious note: On Saturday, my eyes filled with tears (which I kept from falling) as I was sitting in front of the group at the medical distribution for PLWHA (people living with HIV/AIDS). There in front of me were 20 people who were desperate for hope. These are the thoughts/feelings that have consumed me: aside from the physical struggle, they are looking for love, acceptance, dignity, hope, forgiveness, the list goes on. This week I have really felt comforted by these next few verses and have shared them with those at the medical distributions. When I said, "My foot is slipping," your love, O Lord, supported me. When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought joy to my soul. Psalm 94:18-19 He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust." Psalm 91:1-2 My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken. Psalm 62:1-2 Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge. Psalm 62:8 Despite everything in this life - the heartache, the struggles, the disappointments, the pain, the suffering - God's love is unfailing. Can we say anything else is unfailing? That doesn't mean that if we love God, these troubles will no longer exist. It does, however, mean that we can continue to have hope despite everything crumbling around us. And what is life without hope?

Have a great week! Love you guys :o)

1 comment:

Jon Kl said...

You remind me of something I read from GK Chesterton on the paradoxes of the Christian virtues. I don't have an exact quote, so I'll have to paraphrase - of Faith, Hope, and Charity, all are the most powerful when they are the weakest. Faith is only a powerful faith when that to be believed is fantastic, enormous, and unbelievable. Charity is a most powerful charity not when the recipient is deserving (that would be the virtue of Justice), but most of all when we don't deserve. And Hope is truly powerful and most important when things are their most hopeless.

Here's to you, those working with you, and those you help - that despite the worldly failings around you, and the difficulties that lie ahead, you only grow stronger in Faith, in Hope, and in Charity.

"Fear destroys joy. Live in it, and you will know the pain of constant, chronic, low-grade anxiety. Transcend it, and you will know delight." John Ortberg