Sunday, April 26, 2009

Settling In

Wow! It is so much colder here in Hunchun than I had anticipated! People are still wearing long johns under their clothes to keep warm and the wind wips around! I however, did not pack such clothing! Last night I was in my apartment with my hoodie pulled over my head in attempts to stay warm. Hopefully this cold weather leaves soon! We're in a mountainous region (mountains like the East in the States) and I can see snow on some of the peaks. To add to it - the heat is shut off in China on April 15th and not turned on again until mid October. Yee-haw!!

To fill you in on the team here: I would say the majority are Chinese or Korean. In our meetings all 3 languages are communicated. Everyone is so nice and loving! There are several Westerners too: four of us who are single, a young married couple with a 13 month old son, and a family with 4 children ages 13 years to 12 months old. My roommate, Grace, is a 32 y.o Korean-American which comes in handy - she speaks Korean very well which is the 2nd language here under Chinese (this is due to our location...30 minutes from NK). We have two meetings a week which is often the only time everyone sees the rest of the team. People are very busy here.

I've gone to the Special Education School and will dive into the physical therapy aspect on Tuesday. Nate, a Westerner here, will be translating for me while he is here the next 2 months. His Chinese is amazing thus he will be a HUGE help! I won't start the hippotherapy program until late May due to the weather. I'm very anxious for that to start...I feel confident with my skills in that area plus I'm ready to be around the horses :o)

I'm still in the adjustment phase. You've all said that I am so brave but I'm not so sure. My mornings are often filled with emotion - it's tough to do these things "alone." I know that the people here will soon become like family - I'm ready for that feeling. I miss my family and my friends. I've really been emotional over missing my dad. Traveling overseas again has brought back memory of the last time I was overseas and getting that phone call from mom. Hopefully there is healing coming from my tears over him. I believe there is :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hon, I know exactly what you mean about the emotions and don't think you're any less brave because of them. I don't think that bravery is the absence of fear. I think it's the pressing on in spite of it.

I am glad to hear that the emotions are getting under control. I miss you, friend, and am so so happy that your talents are being used well. I look forward to reading more!!

"Fear destroys joy. Live in it, and you will know the pain of constant, chronic, low-grade anxiety. Transcend it, and you will know delight." John Ortberg